THE Z: FRINGE FESTIVAL
April 5-6, 2024
VISUAL ART SUBMISSIONS OPEN THROUGH MArch 8
Art that pushes the envelope is taking over The Z this April. The Z Fringe Festival showcases unique creative works in a weekend of adventurous theater and performance art. Featuring exciting, self-produced works on two Z stages. #MeetMeAtTheZ to celebrate art that makes a statement!
The Z Fringe Festival, April 5-6, 2024, is 2 days of self-produced, performance-based works in the Main Stage and Studio with ticket proceeds for each show going back to the producing artist. Performance submissions are open to performance-based works of any genre (and across-genres… and totally beyond genre categorization…) that have a viewpoint, that tell a story, and/or showcases of short works with a connecting theme.
New for 2024; performance submission category for Works in Progress and submissions for Visual Art!
Festival selections for Performance and Visual Art will be chosen by random lottery after screening to make sure they meet the guidelines.
The Z Fringe 2024 producers: Terry Flint, Brittney Harris, Jason Kypros, and Akin Ritchie
ALL-ACCESS PASS $45
The full Z Fringe Fest experience! Unlock 2 full days of new performance art and create-your-own Fringe experience with access to all performances on both festival days!
Friday-1 Day Pass $20
All-day access to all mainstage, studio and lobby performances on Friday.
Saturday-1 Day Pass $30
All-day access to all mainstage, studio and lobby performances on Saturday.
Single Performance Ticket $10
Access to any 1 festival performance of your choosing.
Fringe Visual Art Submissions
February 16 - March 8, 2024
- Single Artwork Submission - A single piece of visual art, any medium.
- Gallery Submission - Up to 4 pieces of artwork that are connected by a theme. Art mediums can be varied or the same for all 4 pieces. Connecting theme must be part of the Artist Statement.
- Maker Space Submission - 6’ table space for display of applied arts and crafts.
- Hanging Art: No wider than 5'. Must be ready to hang.
- Freestanding Art: No taller than 6'10". No wider than 3'11". Selected artists will be able to request use of a white pedestal. Any other pedestal-style required must be supplied by the artist.
- All Types: Power outlets are available.
- Artists will load in their own work and may use The Z’s loading dock. Loading dock elevator door is 7'x4'.
- The Artist or an approved artist representative must be onsite during the Festival Gallery Tour, Saturday, April 6 from 12:00PM to 4:00PM. Artists should be prepared to stay with their display during this time, to answer questions from festival attendees.
- Sales: Artists may choose whether their work is for sale or display only. Artist is responsible for handling all sales details and interactions, including the handoff or transport of the art to the purchaser. Artists selling their work will be required to leave contact information for buyers at their display, anytime they are not onsite.
- Artists will be given a Visual Artist Badge, allowing them access to up to 4 performances at the festival. Artist Badge access may be Standing Room Only. Artists can upgrade to a full badge or purchase additional single tickets at the Box Office.
- Because visual artwork at The Z Fringe will be displayed in common areas, open to the public, and potentially viewable from the outside of our building, it must be appropriate for All Ages.
- The Z is committed to fostering a welcoming and inclusive community. The Z’s artistic staff may reject any submission deemed not in line with this policy, such as entries with messages that are derogatory toward other groups, based on gender, race, color, religion, age, nationality, disability or other characteristic. Any rejection on such grounds will be based on the perceived artistic merit of the entry in accordance with The Z’s mission and values. Any Entrant submitting such material may be banned from future applications at The Z.
Visual Art Display Fees
- Single piece fee $10
- Gallery fee - up to 4 pieces - $20
- Maker Space fee - $30
Artists will receive an invoice for the relevant fee amount as part of the acceptance of selection process.
Fringe is a performing arts tradition that started in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1947 when eight performing groups were excluded from the mainstream annual arts festival. They decided to perform anyway, finding inexpensive or free venues on the fringes of the city. The Edinburgh Fringe Festival has since grown into one of the largest arts festivals in the world, eclipsing the original festival exponentially.
The Z's Fringe Festival is a celebration of self-produced performance art that pushes the envelope and makes a statement. Performances at The Z Fringe are theatrically-based, meaning they have a viewpoint, tell a story, or connect multiple pieces with a theme. Like the origin story of Fringe Festivals, The Z Fringe was created to give performing artists access to performance space and the opportunity to explore new concepts and performance formats that don’t fit a ‘traditional’ production model.
April 5-6, 2024
We are excited to announce 2 NEW CATEGORIES of performance art:
- Visual Art: Gallery-style showcases of visual art of all mediums. More details on submissions coming soon!
- Works in Progress: Artists may present a new work still in the creative process for audience feedback on performance day.
Applicants must submit a completed application before January 15, 2024 at 11:59PM.
The Z Fringe Committee will review each submission to make sure they meet festival guidelines. Submissions meeting the guidelines will be entered into the lottery and festival selections will be chosen at random. Lottery selection and announcements will be completed by January 26.
- Main Stage Theater
A 299 seat thrust theater.
Approximate stage space: 24’ x 32’ (~768 sq ft).
Cyc or Full Stage Black available as backdrop with the option of a drop-down projection screen.
One Dressing Room, max capacity 10 people.
- Studio Theater
- An approximately 87 seat black box theater.
- Stage dimensions: 24’ x 12’ (288 sq ft).
- Stage height: 1’-0”
- One Dressing Room, max capacity 10 people.
Detailed venue information will be provided in a tech packet to selected productions after lottery.
City of Virginia Beach Arts and Humanities Commission
HELEN G. GIFFORD FOUNDATION