Job Title: Development Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Level of Effort: Full-Time (40 hours/week)
FLSA Status: Exempt
Zeiders American Dream Theater is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization founded on the belief that creativity drives the growth of individuals and communities; and that the imagination, passion, and discipline of creation are universal requirements for all successful endeavors, artistic and otherwise. The Z’s mission is to introduce new works and emerging artists, present unique artistic experiences, and inspire creative growth in the Hampton Roads Community.
Our mission is accomplished through programming balanced between developing projects and artists, presenting national and international artists, and community-driven events. The Z operates on the principle that the best way to achieve our mission and goals is to work in partnership with artists and organizations throughout the community.
Founded in 2013, The Z began presenting regular programming in the fall of 2015 from a 70-seat temporary location in Virginia Beach’s Town Center. Construction quickly took shape on our permanent facility in Town Center and we opened in October of 2018 with a 3-day celebration of creativity, Proteus Festival. Our permanent home includes a 300 seat Main Stage theater and flexible Studio theater with support areas and houses an audio and video recording studio, indoor and outdoor event areas, and offices. This facility is host to all types of experiences from art exhibits, community forums, partnership productions, and our schedule of exciting performances. Outfitted with the premium sound, lighting, and projection equipment, The Z provides an intimate, state of the art experience for audiences and performers.
The Z is quickly becoming an integral part of the community of Hampton Roads; a place of opportunity and entertainment, where artists and audience members are creatively inspired and encouraged to follow their dreams.
The Z is looking for a Development Director who shares our vision and embraces an opportunity to be a fundamental part of our growth.
The Development Director is the fundraising leader for The Z. They are responsible for planning, implementing, and managing a comprehensive development program and in promoting our mission throughout Hampton Roads. Working with the Chairman, Board of Directors, and executive leadership, the Development Director leads the effort to establish and increase The Z’s reputation as a philanthropic destination with donors, corporations, foundations, and community leaders. The director is responsible for shaping and increasing fundraising programs including individual giving, corporate sponsorships, foundation and government grants, and in-kind trade partnerships to meet the budgeted annual contributed income goals. Additionally, working with staff and volunteers, the director will plan and lead the organization’s fundraising special events and upcoming naming opportunities campaign.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Development Director will report to the Executive Director and will be responsible for:
- Designing, implementing, and managing all fundraising activities;
- Meeting budgeted contributed income goals and assisting in setting those goals annually;
- Expanding the existing “Friends of the Z” individual giving campaign and managing all strategies and activities for individual donor cultivation, solicitation, and relations;
- Developing corporate sponsorships and researching and contacting new or potential corporate, foundation, government and individual donors;
- Researching grant opportunities, maintaining contact with granting organizations, and writing grant proposals for foundations, corporations, and government grants;
- Establishing in-kind trade partnerships to support the needs of the theater;
- Recruiting members and serving as primary staff liaison with volunteer Fundraising Advisory Committee and any ad hoc fundraising or event committees;
- Writing and presenting development reports to the Board, granting organizations, and other agencies;
- Planning and managing annual fundraising events;
- Working with the Chairman and Executive Director to plan and implement upcoming naming opportunities campaign for the new facility;
- Managing donor, gift record-keeping and grant reporting;
- Managing pledge reminder and acknowledgement programs;
- Seeking out and attending community opportunities to introduce The Z to potential funders and to cultivate donors and maintaining a comprehensive understanding of the mission and programming of The Z to ensure a cohesive company message; and
- Being available to assist in other duties and responsibilities, as assigned.
- Supervising development volunteers, interns, and independent contractors
- Managing staff and volunteers at fundraising events
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- 3-5 years’ experience in not-for-profit development
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or additional equivalent experience in a similar position
- Experience cultivating and maintaining productive working relationships with board members, volunteers, donors, community members, and community organizations
- Knowledge of current fundraising, grant tracking, event and donor management software
- Demonstrated fundraising success with donors, corporations, and grantors
- Excellent verbal, written, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- An understanding of arts administration and budgeting principles
- High levels of motivation and perseverance with a strong sense of belief in The Z’s mission, plus skills and confidence to express them
Applicants should email a current resume and letter of interest to Terry Flint, Executive Director at [email protected].
The Z is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering and supporting an inclusive arts community and as such does not discriminate in any manner on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic as established by law and further actively seeks opportunities to diversify our staff. The Z strongly encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply.