Job Title: Theater Technician
Reports to: Technical Director
Level of Effort: Part-Time, Flexible (Hourly, 0-32 hours/week)
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Zeiders American Dream Theater is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization founded on the belief that creativity drives the growth of individuals and communities; and that the imagination, passion, and discipline of creation are universal requirements for all successful endeavors, artistic and otherwise. The Z’s mission is to introduce new works and emerging artists, present unique artistic experiences, and inspire creative growth in the Hampton Roads Community.
Our mission is accomplished through programming balanced between developing projects and artists, presenting national and international artists, and community-driven events. The Z operates on the principle that the best way to achieve our mission and goals is to work in partnership with artists and organizations throughout the community.
Founded in 2013, The Z began presenting regular programming in the fall of 2015 from a 70-seat temporary location in Virginia Beach’s Town Center. Construction quickly took shape on our permanent facility in Town Center and we opened in October of 2018 with a 3-day celebration of creativity, Proteus Festival. Our permanent home includes a 300 seat Main Stage theater and flexible Studio theater with support areas and houses an audio and video recording studio, indoor and outdoor event areas, and offices. This facility is host to all types of experiences from art exhibits, community forums, partnership productions, and our schedule of exciting performances. Outfitted with the premium sound, lighting, and projection equipment, The Z provides an intimate, state of the art experience for audiences and performers.
The Z is quickly becoming an integral part of the community of Hampton Roads; a place of opportunity and entertainment, where artists and audience members are creatively inspired and encouraged to follow their dreams.
The Z is looking for Theater Technicians who share our vision and embrace an opportunity to be a part of the team.
Theater technicians at The Z are responsible for ensuring that the lighting, sound and other technical aspects of performances run safely, smoothly and on time. Theater Technicians in this position work under the supervision of the Technical Director, other members of the technical team, artists, and theater lessees. Technicians at The Z ensure that theater equipment is maintained and employed safely and sustainably. Technician’s roles at The Z vary from a single technician assigned sole responsibility for all technical aspects of a performance to focused efforts in various technical disciplines and stage management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Theater Technicians will report to the Technical Director are required to perform the following tasks as needed/capable:
- Program and operate lighting equipment
- Program and operate projection equipment
- Operate sound equipment (including sound mixing)
- Assist with load-in/set-up and loud-out/tear-down
- Inventory and maintain theatrical devices
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
• 3-5 years’ experience in technical theater or live event production with emphasis in one or more of the following; Light Board Operation, Video/Projection System Operation, Live Audio Mixing, Audio Recording, and/or Video Broadcast
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field or additional equivalent experience in a similar position. Experience and capability can compensate for formal education.
• Experience with one (or more) of the following products: Pandora’s Box Projection Mapping, Tricaster 400, ETC Eos, Yamaha CL/Ql, Protools (Avid)
• Excellent verbal, written, organizational, and interpersonal skills
• A comprehensive understanding for systems troubleshooting.
• High levels of motivation and perseverance with a strong sense of belief in The Z’s mission, plus skills and confidence to express them
Applicants should email a current resume and letter of interest to Brandon Beale, Technical Director at [email protected].
The Z is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering and supporting an inclusive arts community and as such does not discriminate in any manner on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic as established by law and further actively seeks opportunities to diversify our staff. The Z strongly encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply.