Job Title: Theater Technician
Reports to: Technical Director and Production Manager
Level of Effort: Part-Time, Temporary/Seasonal (Hourly, variable hours)
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Zeiders American Dream Theater is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization founded on the belief that creativity drives the growth of individuals and communities; and that the imagination, passion, and discipline of creation are universal requirements for all successful endeavors, artistic and otherwise. The Z’s mission is to introduce new works and emerging artists, present unique artistic experiences, and inspire creative growth in the Hampton Roads Community.
Our mission is accomplished through programming balanced between developing projects and artists, presenting national and international artists, and community-driven events. The Z operates on the principle that the best way to achieve our mission and goals is to work in partnership with artists and organizations throughout the community.
The Z’s permanent facility in Town Center Virginia Beach includes a 300 seat Main Stage theater and flexible Studio theater with support areas, an audio and video recording studio, indoor and outdoor event areas, and offices. This facility is host to all types of experiences from art exhibits, community forums, partnership productions, and our schedule of exciting performances. Outfitted with the premium sound, lighting, and projection equipment, The Z provides an intimate, state of the art experience for audiences and performers.
The Z is quickly becoming an integral part of the community of Hampton Roads; a place of opportunity and entertainment, where artists and audience members are creatively inspired and encouraged to follow their dreams.
The Z is looking for seasonal Theater Technicians who share our vision and embrace an opportunity to be a part of the team.
Theater technicians at The Z are responsible for ensuring that the lighting, sound and other technical aspects of performances run safely, smoothly and on time. Theater Technicians work under the supervision of the Technical Director and Production Manager in a variety of technical theater capacities. Technician’s roles at The Z vary from a single technician assigned sole responsibility for all technical aspects of a performance to focused efforts in various technical disciplines and stage management. Roles will vary depending on the season's scheduled events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Theater Technicians will report to the Technical Director or Production Manager. Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Program and operate sound, lighting, and projection equipment for rehearsals, performances, and rental events.
- Assist with load-in, loud-out, and work calls.
- Inventory, installation, and maintenance of theatrical equipment.
- Learn to program and operate theatrical equipment and software in multiple disciplines.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- Experience in technical theater or live event production with experience in one or more of the following: Light Board Programming, Light Board Operation, Video/Projection System Operation, Live Audio Mixing, Audio Board Operation, Audio Recording, Stage Run Crew, or Camera Operation
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or additional equivalent experience in a similar position. Experience and capability can compensate for formal education.
- Experience with one or more of the following products: ETC Eos consoles, Yamaha CL/QL digital consoles, AVID Pro Tools, QLab, Dante, or Christie Pandoras Box
- Excellent verbal, written, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- A comprehensive understanding for systems troubleshooting.
- High levels of motivation and perseverance with a strong sense of belief in The Z’s mission, plus skills and confidence to express them.
Applicants should email a current resume to Kurtis Wiley, Production Manager at [email protected]
The Z is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering and supporting an inclusive arts community and as such does not discriminate in any manner on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic as established by law and further actively seeks opportunities to diversify our staff. The Z strongly encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply.